Monday, November 9, 2009

Open-Ended

I'm writing this post immediately after publishing the last one. I decided to split things up so I wouldn't have one ridiculously long blog post.

Jordan and I talked for a long time after the performance last Saturday night. He was really impacted by it; he told me that he felt really faced with a lot of his own sins reflected by the pain and choices of the characters in the play. He was reminded of the depravity of humanity.

It was interesting to hear his side of things; I'm obviously more affectionate toward the characters and the play, but Jordan was really effected by it emotionally; he said the intermission was a much needed emotional break.

The play is very heavy in a lot of ways. There is a lot of humor in it, but almost every scene is juxtaposed with serious issues and problems. No character is simple, no dialogue lacking depth. These snapshots of different lives I think can resonate with almost everyone; there are feelings of loss and shame, of hopelessness and hope, of sadness and confusion, of anger and fear. The most basic human emotions are represented by Gurney's characters.

Jordan and I compared and contrasted the scenes of Kate and Gordon (affair) and Peggy and Ted (birthday party). Kate and Gordon are obviously dirty, and there is something wrong about their relationship, based on sin and lies. Peggy and Ted I've always been more affectionate toward, partly because of my own biases because I play Peggy, partly because I feel that there is something tender and cute in their relationship. They haven't done anything wrong, even though they are openly discussing their feelings for each other, both as married adults with children and responsibilities.

I've thought about it more, and talked with Dr. Vincent about it, and as much as I feel that Peggy and Ted are meant to be more endearing to the audience, they are not entirely virtuous. The "resolution" in the scene comes from them feeling it would be too messy to try and be together, and they "resolve" to endure and try to press on in spite of their feelings. Dr. Vincent made the interesting remark that the solution was not to encourage each other in their marriages, but to "suck it up", in a sense, and to continue to do nothing. Like just about every other scene in this play, Peggy and Ted are left somewhat unresolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment